TOP Studying abroad at Hirosaki University Short-Term program(Exchange Program) Short-Term program(Exchange Program)

Studying abroad at Hirosaki University

Short-Term program(Exchange Program)

Short-Term program(Exchange Program)

Aomori prefecture is located in the north of Honshu and Hirosaki city is called “Jokamachi” where maintains not only modern, but also traditional atmosphere. Also, there are the historical castle and sites surrounded by beautiful cherry blossom trees. It is very popular and many tourists visit Hirosaki Cherry blossom festival for every spring.

In the summer, we have Hirosaki Neputa festival which is one of the biggest festival in Aomori. In the winter, it snows a lot, so you can enjoy winter activities such as skiing, snowboarding and etc….

Aomori has a magnificent nature in four seasons, you’ll see how different and great it is if you join to this program in Hirosaki University! Moreover you will learn Japanese language and culture through a community and daily life in Hirosaki!


We have two semesters, and students can start their studies at the beginning of either. Students can choose to study for either one semester or two.

Spring Term: 1st week of April to the beginning of August (application deadline November 15)
Fall Term: 1st week of October to the middle of February (application deadline April 30)


– You can follow your interests!

All of you need to take at least seven courses per semester to fulfill visa requirements. But you can design your own curriculum at Hirosaki University! There are mainly two types of classes as below.

・International exchange classes (Syllabus: Spring Semester / Fall Semester ) : Only for exchange students from our partner universities. It include Japanese language and Japanese culture.


【2023 ⅠSemester  ⅡSemester】


・Regular courses which are offered by the faculties and General Education Program of Hirosaki University (Syllabus): For every students at Hirosaki University. Most of them are taught in Japanese.

* Here are some tips for you!



If you are a student from our partner university, your tuition fee will be waived.


If you are a student from our partner university, you may have a priority to stay at our International House.

Please note that if we receive too many applications, some of the students might be advised to plan on renting an apartment (average rents range around 30,000~40,000 yen per month). The Support Office helps students find apartments and complete renting procedures.


To apply, make certain that the following documents reach us by the deadline for the term you wish to enroll in. Documents should be in either Japanese or English. If not, a translation in either Japanese or English should be attached. Fill in all documents completely. Incomplete documents cannot be processed.

◎ Students presently enrolled in our partner university  should submit the following documents through the Exchange Coordinator of their home university:

1     Check list(Excel/PDF)

2     Application for Short-Term Student Exchange Program

3     A study plan of approximately 800 words, outlining what you want to accomplish while you are enrolled in the Short-Term program, and what electives you wish to take.

4     Recommendation for enrollment in the Short-Term Student exchange Program.

5     Certificate of Health

6     Self Declaration of Health

7     Confirmation(Excel/PDF)

8     Certificate of enrollment issued by your home university.

9     Your most recent academic transcripts, issued by your home university.

10   Application for certificate of eligibility

11   Four facial photos (3 x 4cms / 1.2 x 1.5 inches).

12   A copy of the front page of your passport (when available).

13   Pledge

All forms must be filled in completely. Incomplete documents cannot be processed.

On receiving your application, we will process your documents. After your eligibility has been confirmed, you will receive a letter of acceptance and a document issued by the Japanese Immigration, called a ‘Certificate of Eligibility (COE)’, which you will need to apply for your visa. Please feel free to contact our Support Office with any further questions you may have. We wish you all the best in your plans to study in Japan, and look forward to welcoming you to our campus.


● Short Term Program


Direct all mail to:
Please write “Application for Short-Term Program” on an envelope in red ink.
Support Office
Hirosaki University
1 Bunkyo-cho,
Aomori-ken 036-8560
Japan Fax:+81-172-39-3133

Student's voice(動画集)