Q.1 I have a question about my course of study.

A.1 Please contact the faculty/graduate school you want to go to by e-mail.

Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences

Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences

E-mail :


Faculty of Education

Graduate School of Education

E-mail :



School of Medicine

Graduate School of Medicine

E-mail :


School of Health Sciences

Graduate School of Health Sciences

E-mail :


School of Clinical Psychological Science E-mail :


Faculty of Science and Technology

Graduate School of Science and Technology

E-mail :


Faculty of Agriculture and Life Science

Graduate School of Agriculture and Life Science

E-mail :


Graduate School of Sustain Community Studies E-mail :



Graduate School Regional Studies E-mail :





Q.2 I would like to enroll at Hirosaki University, so please send me some materials and an application form.

A.2 Please contact the Admissions Office at Hirosaki University.

Admissions Division E-mail :




Q.3 How much is the tuition fee?

A.3 The entrance examination fee, registration fee and tuition fee are shown in the table below. Japanese Government Scholarship Students are exempt from these payments.

(Year 2020)

Academic Students 535,800yen(annual amount) 282,000yen 17,000yen
Graduate School Students 535,800yen(annual amount) 282,000yen 30,000yen
Graduate Students 356,400yen(annual amount) 84,600yen 9,800yen
Auditing Students 14,800yen(1 credit) 28,200yen 9,800yen
Subjects and other students 14,800yen(1 credit) 28,200yen 9,800yen



Q.4 Please tell me about the tuition waiver system.

A.4 Graduate students who face financial difficulties may be exempted from tuition. Hirosaki University Admission and Tuition fees benefits are also available for undergraduate freshmen, however, not available for research students, auditors, and credited auditors. For further details, please contact the Student Affairs Bureau.



Q.5 What is the language of lectures at Hirosaki University?

A.5 Most classes are conducted in Japanese. However, in the Graduate School, some supervisors are available in English.



Q.6 Can you introduce me to faculty members at Hirosaki University?

A.6 Please visit the website of the faculty or graduate school in the field you wish to study to find a faculty member. Please refer to Q.1 and A.1.



Q.7 Do I need to be able to speak Japanese in order to live in Japan?

A.7 All international students are required to have some level of Japanese language proficiency for daily life.



Q.8 I would like to study Japanese at Hirosaki University.

A.8 Hirosaki University does not have a Japanese language department, but Hirosaki University does offer Japanese language classes for international students enrolled at the university, so you can learn the Japanese language skills necessary for your situation.

If you wish to study Japanese in preparation for entering the university, please use a Japanese language school other than Hirosaki University.



Q.9 Please tell me about the scholarship system for studying at Hirosaki University.

A.9 The Japanese government (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) provides scholarships, travel expenses to Japan, and travel expenses back home to international students who are studying in Japan as undergraduate students or research students (graduate level). If you are selected for this program, you will be exempt from the application fee, entrance fee, and tuition fee. Please contact the Japanese embassy or consulate in your country for more information about this program.

There are also several scholarships available for privately financed students, but they are only available after you have enrolled. Please see here for more information.



Q.10 Does Hirosaki University have an exchange program?

A.10 Hirosaki University has exchange agreements with 44 schools as of May 1, 2021, allowing students to study at Hirosaki University for 6 or 12 months. Students who study at Hirosaki University under the exchange program are not required to pay admission and tuition fees.



Q.11 I’m worried about job hunting.

A.11 The Career Center provides job hunting guidance for international students twice a year, in April and October.

For more information, please contact the International Department.


Q.12 Will Hirosaki University provide me with a place to live if I decide to study abroad?

A.12 International students can live in the student dormitories, but they must pass a screening process by the Union of Student Dormitory Autonomies to determine their Japanese language ability and adaptation to dormitory life. Students may also live in apartments other than the dormitories. They will have to find an apartment by themselves. For more information about the conditions for entering the dormitory and finding an apartment, please contact the International department.



Q.13 Is there anything I should pay attention to when renting an apartment?

A.13 Apartments do not come with furniture or furnishings, so you will need to purchase them yourself. In recent years, furnished apartments with Wi-Fi are gradually increasing. When renting an apartment, it is customary to pay a monthly rent as well as  “礼金(Key money)”, “敷金(Security deposit)”, and other upfront fees.



Q.14 What is “礼金(Key money)”?

A.14 Key money is money you give to the apartment manager as a token of appreciation. Key money will not be refunded.



Q.15 What is “敷金(Security deposit)”?

A.15 Security deposit is money given to the administrator of an apartment as collateral against unpaid rent. Normally, the security deposit will be refunded when you move out, but if you make the room dirty or break any part of the room, it will not be returned because it will be used to pay for cleaning and repairs. When renting an apartment in Japan, make sure to keep the room clean.



Q.16 How much does it cost for living expenses?

A.16 Apartment rent: 30,000 yen, Meals: 20,000 yen, Utilities: 12,000 yen,

Books: 5,000 yen, Other: 10,000 yen,

Total: about 77,000 yen.



Q.17 Can I work part-time?

A.17 Students are allowed to work part-time within 28 hours per week (14 hours per week for research students and non-degree students). During the university’s summer, winter, and spring breaks, you may work no more than 8 hours per day and no more than 40 hours per week. In addition, when working part-time, please make sure that you have your Permission for Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted or your Certificate of Eligibility for Employment.



Q.18 What kind of place is Hirosaki City?

A.18 Hirosaki City has prospered as a castle town since ancient times, and even today, the city’s streets are rich with history and culture.

There are also events to enjoy in every season, and the city produces the largest amount of apples in Japan.



Q.19 What is the climate like?

A.19 April and May are pleasant months. The average temperature is about 11 degrees Celsius and it is the spring season when the cherry blossoms bloom. June through August is the warm summer season, with average temperatures reaching 21 degrees Celsius, and some days with highs exceeding 30 degrees Celsius. September and October are pleasant months, with average temperatures dropping to about 16 degrees Celsius, and you can see beautiful autumn leaves. In November, the average temperature drops to 6 degrees Celsius and you will need to take precautions against the cold. From December to February, the weather is cold and winter is in full swing. The average daily temperature is less than 1 degree Celsius, and it snows. In March, the average temperature rises to about 3 degrees Celsius and the snow begins to melt in preparation for spring.



Q.20 I am worried about my life in Hirosaki.

A.20 Hirosaki University has a tutor system in which Japanese students take care of each international student for six months or one year after enrollment. Hirosaki University students who are fluent in English are in charge of the students, so if you have any problems in your daily life, you can feel free to consult your tutor.



Q.21 I heard that I have to take out insurance in Japan.

A.21 Foreigners staying in Japan are required to join the National Health Insurance system. Although monthly premiums are required, the insurance covers 70% of the medical expenses, and you only need to pay 30% to the medical institution. Medical expenses in Japan are very expensive, so please make sure to enroll in this insurance. After enrolling in school, please go to the municipal office where you live to enroll.



Q.22 I want to invite my family from my home country to my graduation ceremony.

A.22 If you are coming to Japan from outside of a visa waiver country or region, you will need to obtain a visa. Please refer to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and complete the procedures on your own.



Q.23 I want to open a bank account.

A.23 Please contact your bank. Some banks may not allow you to open a bank account within 6 months of your arrival in Japan, or even if you are able to open a bank account, there may be restrictions on bank transfers. At Japan Post Bank, you can open an account right after you arrive in Japan. Please close the account when you return to your country.



Q.24 What do I need to do before I leave Japan temporarily?

A.24 If you plan to re-enter Japan within one year, you do not need a re-entry permit (deemed re-entry permit). However, if you plan to stay longer than one year, please take the following documents to the Immigration Bureau and obtain a re-entry permit before leaving Japan. In order to apply for a re-entry permit, the following documents are required.

Re-entry permit application form

Residence card or alien registration card


Student ID card

Application fee: 3,000 yen for one time, 6,000 yen for several times.



Student's voice(動画集)